Business of Design Week (BODW) 2021, Asia’s premier annual event on design, innovation and brands since 2002 organised by Hong Kong Design Centre (HKDC), presents an exciting line-up of key panel sessions drawing on the theme ‘Global Design Reset’, signifying the need for fresh thinking, decisive leadership and collaborative creativity across disciplines as we continue to navigate in a state of flux under the new normal. Over 80 renowned brand leaders, design masters and entrepreneurs from various sectors in Hong Kong, Asia as well as overseas will inform and inspire audiences on how to look beyond the present as the world collectively moves into our post-pandemic future.
Hybrid programme simulcast online and streamed on ViuTV; Last chance to register for free online access
Over 80 speakers from leading innovative companies such as Animoca Brands, Archi-Tectonics, Cathay Pacific Airways, Christie’s, Daikoku Design Institute, Epic Games, Elevate, FILA China, Heatherwick Studio, Herzog & de Meuron, Het Nieuwe Instituut, Jason Bruges Studio, JLL, Lenovo Group, Massive Change Network, MillerKnoll, MPlus Museum Limited, Power Station of Art, Refik Anadol Studio, Six Senses Hotels Resorts & Spa, Snøhetta, Studio Zhu-Pei, Tatler Asia Group, The Coca-Cola Company, The Landmark Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong, World’s 50 Best Restaurants, Xiaomi, and many more
Following last year’s success, the BODW 2021 Summit on 1 – 4 December will be held as a hybrid programme simulcast online, with selected sessions streamed on ViuTV, social media, and partner locations. The curated programme will explore eight main pillars of topics relevant to our society today, namely Brand Rejuvenation, Connected Health and Wellbeing, Creative Mindset & Innovation Leadership, Culture & the City, Designing an Intelligent Future, Hospitality with Purpose, New Urban Models, and Phygital Reality.
With the UK and ViuTV as strategic partners, BODW 2021: Global Design Reset aims to shine a light on how we can thrive amid crisis, co-create a sustainable future, and make meaningful impact through human-centred design and techology.
Among all online livestreamed panel sessions, those slated for live broadcast on ViuTV Channel 96 are:
- Keynote: How Design Changes the World (1 December, 8:15pm – 8:40pm) – Quality of life and respect for nature are complementary goals. Built projects that convey urban prosperity, sustainability, and human wellbeing can address the growing challenges of urbanisation. Here, world-renowned design guru Bruce Mau (Chief Executive Officer, Massive Change Network and Founder, Bruce Mau Design, US), talks about how designing for nature is synonymous to designing for success, with Dr Joseph Wong (Executive Director, Hong Kong Design Centre, HK) and Darren Chuckry (Chair HK of Marketing Society and Managing Partner of HK Initiative, HK) to moderate.
- Media Disruptions (1 December, 8:40pm – 9:20pm) – Moderated by Julia Clyne (Head of Media Sales & The Trust, APAC, at Dow Jones, HK), this discussion brings together media heavyweights, James Chambers (Asia Editor & HK Bureau Chief, Monocle, HK), Lofai Lo (Director & General Manager, ViuTV, HK), and Michel Lamunière (Chairman & CEO, Tatler Asia Group, HK), to share insights on creative programming and the future of print, digital, and broadcast media.
- Future Mobility & Transportation (1 December, 9:20pm – 10:00pm) – With the advent of AI and IoT, we live in a world where seamless connectivity and autonomous navigation are fast becoming a reality. This panel gathers Paul Priestman (Designer & Chairman, PriestmanGoode, UK), Andrew Mead (Head of Architecture, MTR Corporation Limited, HK), and Edward Bell (General Manager of Brand, Insights, and Marketing Communications of Cathay Pacific Airways, HK) to discuss how integrated design and technologies are shaping the future of mobility and the economy, with Annouchka Behrmann (Head of Brand, Edelman Hong Kong and Chairperson, PRHK) to moderate.
- Making Sustainability Palatable (2 December, 8:00pm – 8:35pm) – With sustainable food systems gaining ground in Asia and across the world, leading restaurateurs are eager to make their mark in this space and help reverse climate change. Peggy Chan (Principal Chef-Consultant of Grassroots Initiatives and Executive Director of Zero Foodprint Asia, HK) and Richard Ekkebus (Director of Culinary Operations and F&B, The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, HK) talk about advancing the new normal in hospitality with well-respected food writer and moderator Janice Leung Hayes (Food writer, Producer & Sustainability Advocate, Honestly Green, HK).
- Keynote: Rewilding Urban Space (2 December, 9:05pm – 9:25pm) – Cities as well as businesses are increasingly aware of dwellers’ desire for access to green spaces. Keynote speaker Thomas Heatherwick CBE (Founder, Heatherwick Studio, UK) discusses future trends in urban models with moderator Prof. Eric Schuldenfrei (Founding Partner, ESKYIU and Head of the Department of Architecture, The University of Hong Kong, HK).
- Creative Placemaking of the World (2 December, 9:25pm – 10:00pm) – Moderated by Alexandra Seno (Managing Partner, AXS Asia Partners, HK), this panel delves into cultural strategies and initiatives specifically crafted to improve the built environment and create more vibrant and inclusive spaces, together with Robert Greenwood (Partner and Managing Director Asia, Snøhetta, HK) and Zhu Pei (Dean, Professor of Central Academy of Fine Arts, School of Architecture and Founder of Studio Zhu-Pei, Mainland China).
- Talking to Refik Anadol: Mastering the Craft of Crypto Creation (3 December, 3:30pm – 4:00pm) – Learn about the emerging trends worth watching in the world of fine art, such as crypto assets and digital art, with Sara Mao (Director of Christie’s Education Asia Pacific, Vice President and Auctioneer at Christie’s, HK) and Refik Anadol (Media Artist at RAS.Refik Anadol Studio, US) in a discussion moderated by Jehan Chu (Co-founder & Managing Partner, Kenetic, HK).
- Unlocking Potential in Metaverse (3 December, 8:00pm – 9:00pm) – The line between physical and digital is rapidly blurring. In this panel, Bernt Johannessen (Industry Manager, Epic Games, Sweden), Henri Arslanian (Crypto Leader & Partner, PwC Hong Kong, HK), and Yat Siu (Co-Founder & Chairman, Animoca Brands, HK) discuss the fusion of these two worlds in the metaverse, and how this influences our lived experiences and economic activities, with moderator Darren Chuckry (Chair HK of Marketing Society and Managing Partner of HK Initiative, HK).
- Carving Out Future WorkSpace and Living (4 December, 8:00pm – 8:55pm) – Offices and built environments are fast adapting to our working habits and redefining the nature of work with a new digital infrastructure. Moderator Dr Edmund Lee (Former Executive Director, Hong Kong Design Centre, HK) explores the future of work and living with Prof. Jeremy Myerson (Director of WORKTECH Academy, UK), Jesper Jos Olsson (Group CEO & Founding Partner, White Peak & Stey, Mainland China), Ryan Anderson (VP of Global Research and Insights, MillerKnoll, US), and Tiffany Lau (Executive Director, APAC Head of Urban Ecosystems, JLL, HK).
Attracting a global audience of over 380,000 to exchange ideas and explore new business opportunities last year, BODW is organised by Hong Kong Design Centre (HKDC) and co-organised by Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC), with Create Hong Kong (CreateHK) of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR Government) as the Lead Sponsor.
For registration and programme updates of BODW 2021, please visit the official website at 2021.bodw.com. Registrants can sign up to become a bodw+ member free of charge and enjoy full online access for BODW 2021.
Discuss in Kanban. Welcome to search “艺廊网”, “artthat” and follow us on WeChat and Weibo.
Now join ArtThat Elites Club, then re-create with artists and take silk-screen handwork home!